• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Steel Challenge

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
I wore that hat all night at the match.

Along with my trusty companion, "Frozanne Margarita", who just happened to take 2nd in the Lady category that evening.

We really do have a great bunch of shooters out there.

One squad is 100% dedicated to winning.

And then there's the Pirates on Squad 3. That's us. We're there to shoot and have FUN.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Just for grins I went back and read over all of the messages in this thread. It sounds like I was having a great time through it all and even smiled in a few spots where I thought I had written something clever for a change.

Here's hoping the next few years are as much fun as the previous few years were.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Went over to Daytona Beach to shoot in the Volusia county monthly Steel Challenge match as I'm trying to get my times down in the next month or so in a vain attempt to make Master in Rim Fire Rifle Open (RFRO).

Took 3rd overall behind a Master and Grand Master so I think I did good in that match.

Also managed to knock 5 seconds off of my Classifier times putting me only 3 seconds away from my goal.

Of course, 3 seconds in Steel Challenge is a whole lot of time when you're trying to shave tenths of a second off of a string of fire.

I've got a few more matches around the state that I can use for both practice and time shaving.

The next one should be at the OK Corral in Okeechobee, Florida. A full match with a LOT of Grand Masters shooting. I should get my head handed to me on a plate, but if I can shave a second off my times, it will be worth it.

AD

oldman10mm

vip
Army
Up to Daytona Beach, down to Okeechobee, what area of Florida do you live ?

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Southwest Florida.

Punta Gorda to be specific.

When I go to the matches around the state, it's usually by motorcycle so not only do I get a decent ride in (last weekend was 700 miles) I get to shoot in the matches! As I'm open carrying, I get a lot of photos taken from cars at stop lights and the like. Throw in the visual of my rifle pack on the back seat and you can see where the tourists from England might want to snap a photo or two. I usually hold up a peace sign with my fingers if I can do it safely.

The next match is at the OK Corral in Okeechobee on the 6th. Then our own local 8 stage Classifier on the 12th and finally the last one of the month at the Deep 50 range on the 20th.

That "Deep 50" range is an old Florida prison that got purchased and turned into some kind of "tactical training" center. I don't partake of the tactical running around with mil-spec gear all over me as I got my fill of that in Viet-Nam. But they do offer up the major shooting sports on the weekends and it just so happens there will be a Steel Classifier on the 20th.

With any luck, I'll will have made my goals prior to that match, in which case I won't have to go! But that may be wishful thinking. We shall see.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
If you'll look under the yellow bag on the seat, you can see the rifle case for the AR-15 sitting across the rear seat.
AD

IMG_1906.jpg

oldman10mm

vip
Army
How many miles currently on the bike ?
I've had 4, 1971-1975, 1975-1980, 1980-2003, 2010-2016, all oriental.

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
My last five bikes have all gone over 100,000 miles.

Two Harley Tour Glides and three BMW RT's.

This one currently has 105,000 on it and as the dealer can't get any new ones, it appears I'll be riding this for at least another year.

Who else leaves for Sturgis from Florida on a bike with 100,000 miles???

AD

BMW-14-100000.JPG

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
I've ridden out there from Florida every year since I retired in 2007.

Always a good time in spite of the time and distance involved. I get to see friends I haven't seen for a year and generally have a good time.

The Dakotas, Black Hills, Wyoming and Montana are well worth the effort to go and see.

AD
CIMG0960.JPG

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Black Hills National Park or Forest in South Dakota along the various rim trails and roads that are all over the place.

If you get stupid and try to really inch over the edge, you'll die. There are no guard rails anywhere, just spectacular scenery to last a lifetime.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Guys,

Shot a valid Steel Challenge Classifier at the Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, Florida yesterday. Did quite well in the match but the important thing was that I somehow managed to knock a full two seconds off of my 8 stage aggregate Classifier time. This is a BIG deal. Steel Challenge deals in tenths of a second for wins, especially when you have equally matches shooters.

I did win the match ( USA Classifier 6-5-21 ) but the key time to see is from Stage 7. That was our squad's final stage and I decided to "Hero or Zero" it, as they like to say in the shooting business. Run it way faster than normal and try to get a little bit of luck thrown in.

I literally picked up 2 seconds right there by throwing all caution to the wind and just blowing through the targets. Yes, I got very lucky this time as I don't think I can duplicate that speed anytime in the near future on that stage.

The guy running me double checked that we caught all the shots (we did) as we were using my AMG timer which grabs each shot and updates the scoring tablet without any human intervention. Each string showed 5 shots. I didn't realize what a big deal it was until later when I checked the match time against previous Classifier times.

I'll know Wednesday morning if my two recent Classifiers are accepted. I'll report back then.

AD

Barndad

Congrats! You must have had a ton of adrenaline pumping through the system. You should be feeling very satisfied about the results.

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Well, time to change guns again.

Yep, I'm putting down the conversion AR-15/22 and picking up the girlfriend's Ruger Mark IV. As she is away for the summer, I figure she won't mind too much and I can stick a spare Burris Fastfire on it and presto! Instant pistol for Steel Challenge in Rim Fire Pistol Open (RFPO).

This is definitely NOT a special build. It's a plain Jane Ruger with a plain optic dropped on top.

Stock trigger, barrel, springs and magazines. It's just meant to shoot and have fun with minimal hassle and cost.

Should be fun for a few weeks or until she finds out I've glommed onto "her" pistol, at which time I will be in big trouble.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Yeah, they did those cutouts on the shroud and called it the "Lite Version".

It's still just a 22LR pistol with an optic dropped on top. Nothing fancy there.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
OK, change number 3 or so.

The Ruger turned out to bit a bit too "light" for my liking so I pulled the optic off of it and stuck it on my SW22 Victory pistol.

The difference is over a full pound in weight! In fact, this SW22 Victory weighs more than my carry Glock 30!

So, we'll take on a few of the guys who can still run with a pistol in Steel Challenge and see what happens.

AD

ADulay

vip
nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
And in case you were curious, yes, the SW22 comes WITH the Picatinny rail in the box with the stock gun. It's a simple "one screw" removal and replacement for the adjustable iron sights that come on the gun.

AD