thoughts and comming trivia

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, December 2, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel

Being a history freak and also a lover of trivia in general, I thought this may be fun for all of us, most notably Rich C. and my man, Dan da Man.
    Okay guys, read this on S&W blog this morning. I'll throw this out and have a few more ideas for later.
    Answer the question, and more importantly your opinions on the matter. "AD, don't let me down, my friend.

Ad Feedback
    did any police departments across this country ever issue 44 mag. guns for law enforcement use? or did any departments allow there officers to carry them off duty? just wondering, I read yesterday an excerpt from Elmer Keith "sixguns" where he said it would be fine for law enforcement use,,,,,,,, (Olskool)

2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Yes some law enforcement did some later carried the .44 special saying recoil from the .44mag was to much. I think some motorcycle officers from Dallas.

3. diesel

diesel

Right on, my brother;
    [​IMG]
    My agency authorized .44 MAG for duty and off-duty, but the guns had to be bought by the individual. The issued revolvers were either Colt Pythons (4" blued .357) or S&W M66's (4"), and later 686's (4").

Ammunition was initially issued one time for the people carrying .357 MAG, but you had to buy your own duty ammunition in any other caliber.

I knew quite a number of guys who carried 4"-6" .44's on-duty (and a smattering of .45 ACP or Colt).

I eventually knew a handful of other guys who had worked for different local agencies who had previously approved the use of .41 & .44 MAG revolvers during the older revolvers days. One of them used to ride motors at his former agency, and he really favored his S&W .44 MAG duty revolver.

I never got around to buying a Buscadero rig to carry one of my own .44's as a duty weapon (costly, even back then, as they were custom-made), but I did carry one or another of them as off-duty weapons. I used .44 MAG factory ammo when I took one of my guns to the range, which I bought, as the only qualification ammo available was some locally reloaded .44 SPL loads. Nasty enough clouds of smoke, and smudged cylinders and frames, to make me think they used Unique for their reloads. [​IMG]

As time passed, and the heyday of revolvers for duty use were far back in the rear-view mirror, we finally started to frown upon authorizing big bore Magnum revolvers for off-duty (especially when the new .500 & .450 S&W MAG guns were appearing). I don't think they'll approve of anyone carrying anything for off-duty chambered in anything more powerful than a medium-bore .357 MAG or .357SIG nowadays. (Fastbolt)

4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nice write up there Diesel:flag:

5. diesel

diesel

Thanks, Daniel.

Can anyone tell tell me what the rifle in the photo is? The second on my trivia list.:p:flag::flag:

Attached Files:

6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I'm going to say Winchester 45/70 but deep down inside Henry

7. Similar to a Henry 1860 or a variation of.

8. diesel

diesel

Trust the old gut,Daniel. 1860 "Henry" chambered in .44 rimfire.
    Good stabs by both of ya.o_O:flag:

PS: anyone know what calibur Henry's first 1873 rifle was chambered in? (i do not, however, i am aware it was not .45)

PSS: please try to guess these as Dan'l and Oldman10mm did, guys. No fun if we cheat and please throw some back at me.
    ( if you all don't enjoy this triv, or think it stupid, and want me to stop, i will do so asap):):flag:

caseless round, Martini-Henry , .44 Rimfire

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 5, 2017 at 4:58 AM
  9. diesel

diesel

By 1866, production on Henry’s rifle came to an end with only 14,000 having been produced. The gun didn’t disappear entirely, though. A similar rifle featuring a hand guard and loading gate entered the market that same year under a new name: Winchester’s Model 1866.

Who designed the 1866 Winchester?:flag::flag:

10. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Wasn't part of the design a improvement over the yellow boy. With help from Oliver Winchester , Horace smith, and Dan Wesson ? I believe they were all part of another gun company but can't remember the name off hand. The Winchester lever guns are in high demand with Cowboy Action Shooters of our age group or a little older than me and you.

11. diesel

diesel

Actually , my friend, Ollie never designed or built anything but a shirt. I believe your talking about the "Volcanic Arms Co." which S&W founded some time in the 1850's. This co. actually produced the first functional lever gun;.....a pistol!! I also believe it was tube fed with the first non/metallic cartridge. Form casted, hollowed out, rear end of the projectile filled with black powder and believe it or not, a fulminated mercury primer!
    Not 100% sure of all i've written here but, i am about 96% sure.
    I'll do some reading later to try to verify my claims and try to find a photo of the first Volcanic.

Ollie was a shirt maker from NY, me thinx, bought stock in Volcanic and bought the boys out when they shut her down to form S&W, thank God.:confused::flag: