The Dirty Revolver

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ADulay, December 6, 2015.

1. All,

With January comes a month with 5 Saturdays in it and here in my neck of the woods, the 5th Saturday of the month becomes an available date for the annual IDPA Classifier to be shot.

Actually we shoot it twice a year and August was the last one for us.

My classification for the semi-autos is current until August but my Revolver rating needs to be renewed so I went out and shot two practice Classifiers today. 180 rounds total.

Did pretty good as I had forgotten just how nice it is to shoot a heavy gun like the GP-100. Nice and smooth.

Missed "Expert" on the time by two seconds or so on the first try and nailed it by about a half second on the second try.

Why is this being posted up?

Because after 180 rounds of 38 special run through the gun, my hands were absolutely FILTHY and it took several minutes at the wash tub at the range to get my hands clean!!

Revolvers are fun to shoot and load and mess around with but run a hundred or so rounds through them and your hands WILL be dirty. Big time!

So who was out shooting wheel guns this week?

AD

whitewolf68 likes this.
  2. planning this upcoming week for the Eastlake indoor range with 3 44Mags,1 41Mag,and 1 10mm. all revolvers.

3. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Andy you are 100 % right I have shot that many rounds and more out of my wheel gun in one session. But washing your hands after shooting is a most wheelie or a auto. Picking your shot brass up loading cast bullets which I shoot thousands and thousands a year. There is always a risk and always keep your hands off your face. Even when you think your clean your clothes get burnt powder or unburnt powder on them.

4. bambambam

bambambam

I used to have to deal with this same problem until I went to the coated bullets.Now my barrel does not lead up and cleanup is a lot easier.Accuracy is not affected by the coating.And if these bullets are good enough for Jerry Miculek maybe some of his magic will rub off on me.

5. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Well I haven't crossed over to PC bullets yet.

6. bambambam

bambambam

The cost is not much more than cast and a whole lot cleaner

7. bambambam

bambambam

Bayou Bullets is the ones that I use in GSSF in my Glocks.Reload the same as cast.

8. Well, I'm back on the dirty revolver band wagon again.

Got the itch to "up my game" so to speak and bought a S&W 686 this morning.

It will be a nice transition gun along with the GP-100 to shoot in IDPA and USPSA's revolver divisions.

Had to order it as they only had the 586 model at the store (blued steel and not stainless like I wanted).

Already ordered up an extra holster, another batch of jet loaders and a holder.

I figure with all the loaded gear on my belt (six loaders) along with the holster and sidearm, I'll wind up looking like Rambo or something.

AD

9. diesel

diesel

I'd end up with a very sore back tote'n all that weight.:p:flag:

10. Luckily in IDPA you only need the 3 loaders on the belt.

For USPSA it's more like SIX and that's pretty much my limit for crap on the belt.

AD

11. S&W 586/686-6 rd cylinder,S&W 686+ has 7 rd cylinder,S&W 627 and 327 R8 & TRR8 have 8 rd cylinders.

for S&Ws' 9mm revolvers,986 is 7 rd cylinder,929 is 8 rd cylinder.

The 9mms' and the PC Pro 686+ are setup for moonclips providing for fast reloads.

Last edited: April 15, 2017
  12. The 8 shot revolvers have pretty much taken over in that division of USPSA.

As it is a speed game, the 6 shot revolvers (even at major scoring) are at a huge disadvantage.

At least there's still a few places where the traditional six-shooter can play, it's just not USPSA anymore!

AD

13. Ran a 100 rounds through the new 686. Very nice.

Accurate and tight.

The trigger is still new so it's a bit stiff but it is a sweet shooter.

Looking forward to some good revolver competition with this one.

AD (at least in my "Super Senior, Classic" divisions.