• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Pocket Carry

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
All,

Pocket carry is not my normal preferred method of carry but due to some family crisis, I am now carrying the Walther PPK/s as my pocket gun due to being in a hospital all day and half the night.

As I needed to make sure the sidearm was functional and good to go with the 100g ammo in it, I ran down to the range and put two magazines through it.

As much as I love that gun, I really hate to shoot it. It is not fun nor comfortable. It is accurate and fills the purpose I need it for this month, I just do not like shooting the gun as it still "bites" the web of my right hand on every single shot.

Doesn't matter if it's single action or double action, it bites on every shot.

Hopefully I won't have to carry it much longer.

AD

The PPK S is 22lr(per the Walther site),100gr ammo is 380 ? confused.
I just picked up a Bersa 380 for the times I wanted a small one.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
No, mine's a "real" Walther PPK/s as in James Bond as in .380ACP.

Actually this one was made in West Germany a long time ago.

Steel gun.

AD (I didn't even know they made a 22LR in the PPK series)

Is that a gun in your pocket.........:rofl:

I LOVE my little FEG PA63 in Mak. It is a Hungarian Walther copy. Alum frame cost me 200 bucks and is accurate.
But to pocket carry I normally choose my 38 spl or 38 s&w derringers, made a little soft leather holster that fits both. Covers the trigger, though with the cross safety its not that big of an issue. Only 2 shots for either, but the FEG only has 8 rnds.

Doesn't matter if it's single action or double action, it bites on every shot.
ot
Hopefully I won't have to carry it much longer.

AD
AD ... Hopefully the family crisis will resolve quickly. Regarding pocket pistols, I've just never found one that is comfortable to shoot by my standards. Accordingly, the smallest pistol I carry is a CZ 2075 RAMI as it conceals easily and doesn't beat your hand up with extended practice at the range.

ADulay,
I know what you mean about the bite. I have actually owned 2 of them. Evidently enough time had passed between them that I forgot how much I didn't like to shoot it. Buying the second one reminded though. Like you I really like the gun, it just didn't work for me.

I went with the S&W Bodyguard 380 without the laser sight. It makes a nice pocket carry pistol. With the long trigger pull, I carry it without a holster with no issues. I typically wear cargo pants so there is not an imprint of the pistol for anyone to see.

Jim

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
As a follow up to this thread, the wife is now back at home and doing well.

The Walther PPK/s is put back on the shelf and I can get back to carrying the Glock 30 again OWB.

We BOTH feel better about this!!

AD

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Glad to hear the little lady is all good!
Never could shoot the small autos painlessly as my hands are just to big.
I still carry my little Smith mod. 60. It can go into my pocket very easily but, the hammer hangs on retrieval.
I use a small "inside the belt" holster, no problem.;):flag:

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
The Walther PPK/s is put back on the shelf and I can get back to carrying the Glock 30 again OWB.

AD
If only everything could be so cut and dried.

Yes, I'm back to carrying the G30 as my primary sidearm but I can see many more doctor/hospital visits with my lady in the future so figured I should probably solve this pocket carry gun problem of mine.

As I had a Glock GSSF coupon for a gun, I checked out the only local Glock dealer who honors the GSSF coupons in my area. He didn't have a G42 in stock, but it could be there in the morning with the FedEx Next Day delivery.

I ordered it. It showed up.

After shooting the full sized Glock 41 for the last few months, it sure felt "small" in my hands but as it wasn't going to be a full time carry gun, this wasn't a problem for me. It will reside in my pocket for those times when only a pocket carry will do.

Ran it down to the range this afternoon and ran 25 rounds right out of the box. No set up. No oiling. No nothing. Open the box, load ammo, shoot. Very nice and accurate. Make a quick visual check for any obvious wear patterns and ran the next 25 through. No problems at all.

Dropped 4 spots of oil in the recommended places and ran the next 50 rounds through it. Nary a problem.

Very accurate, even out to 30 yards, standing, with all bullets on target and no "flyers".

I'll run 50 rounds of "carry ammo" through it tomorrow and I believe that will make it official as my dedicated pocket gun, when needed.

It holds the same amount of ammo as the Walther PPK/s but it weighs in 12 ounces lighter!!!! That's a lot.

And it was actually fun to shoot!! No problems with the slide biting my hand or anything else. 100 rounds and ZERO problems anywhere. I can live with that for sure.

As we're going to have another one of our impromptu "BUG" matches next Monday, I also shot the Glock 26 today to make sure I could downsize to the sub-compact 9mm gun after running the full sized 45 for so long. Easy transition and I believe I'll be able to hold my own next week with the Back Up Guns.

AD (Finally! A 380 that doesn't hurt to shoot!)

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Update on the pocket carry saga . . . . . . .

I figured as long as I was working with little used holsters in unusual situations, I took another look at my DeSantis Apache ankle rig.

I thought it would work out with the old PPK but the weight was just too much and it did have a tendency to move a bit and the weight was noticeable through most of the day so I put it away.

Fast forward to this month and the purchase of the Glock 42. Decided to try out the ankle rig one more time to make sure it wasn't going to work.

Uh, WRONG.

The G42 fits perfectly AND after about 15 minutes, I don't even know it's there! I was pretty surprised by this for sure. I was not expecting to be able to use the ankle rig EVER again but now it is a viable option as a backup or for emergency carry when you need pockets!!

I have been using it for the last two days full time to include motorcycle riding, mostly as a test, but to make sure it works for everything I normally do in a day and half the night. Even light jogging (and I do mean light as I'm no runner by any means) and it stayed put with no rubbing or irritation on my leg.

So, it's like getting a nice gift for free!!

AD

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Hmm, why didn't I think of that????

Here ya go. And at 17 oz and change, all ready to go, it's light enough that you don't even feel it by the time you get to the car!

I have elected to not use the retention strap as the enclosure holds it quite nicely with the compression pressure.

AD

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Some food for thought I stumbled upon on the S&W forum;

One of the Gurus has said your concealed weapon should not
be comfortable. It should be comforting. I have always thought
why can't it be both?
As an old instructor one of the most frequent questions I get is
what do I recommend?
First, I believe if the gun is small and reasonably light it is more
likely you will have it when you need it.
Second, I believe revolvers have a slight edge in simplicity of
operation and reliability.
Third I believe, as does the NRA, that .38 Spl. (or 9MM) should
be the minimum.
:flag:

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
There is a time and place for all the various ways to carry your sidearm.

Should you find a need for one different from what you normally use, it would be good to known that it is effective.

That's why I knew using the PPK in an ankle rig just wouldn't work. I tested it and did not like it.

The same goes for pocket carry. I finally got a nice leather "holster" for the pocket a long time ago and once that was solved, pocket carry became a valid method "when needed" and I put it to use on occasion.

AD

I live in Florida, and I wear a Florida tuxedo most of the time, a golf shirt and Columbia shorts[emoji3]I would never tell anyone that what I carry is the best but it fits in my shorts pocket and I carry it always! It is a keltec P3AT , I bought it 15 years ago it has enough shots through it for me to know it will go bang, it has never malfunctioned. If I were buying a gun today it would be the Red trigger Ruger LCP. Although the 380 is not a power house cartridge no one has ever said ,oh that's a 380 go ahead and shoot me! No one wants to leak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerTim

Army
nra instructor
I pocket carry when the occasion calls for it. I run a G42 in a pocket holster from Alabama Holsters. Absolutely the best .380 I've ever shot. Easy shooting and accurate. I'll take a head shot out to 25 all day long. Best part, matches my daily carry and competition Glocks.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Just an update on that ankle holster I wrote about several message up.

I've been wearing it all week, 14 hours a day, at the hospital and it hasn't been a problem at all.

I didn't want to be wearing a cover shirt over a regular shirt in the hospital all day so it was time for the ankle rig.

It has performed perfectly with no irritation, chafing or uncomfortable pressure.

Hopefully I won't need it after Saturday.

AD