new smiths

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, May 8, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel

Nobody ever built a prettier revolver than S&W. And i'm including Colt. My Python is beautiful but, not at pretty as my 586. A look at some of the newbies;

44.jpg 66.jpg
    Like i said, too pretty.
    The first two are .44's and the second is a Mod. 66.
    (i absolutely love the grips on that 66)!!;):D:flag:

2. let's see the 586 you mentioned.

3. diesel

diesel

As I said, my favorite.

Attached Files:

4. There is nothing like a 44MAG. Nice guns.

5. Funny you should mention the Smiths.

Just picked up a new four inch 686 for running in the Revolver division of IDPA to supplement the Ruger GP-100.

So far it's making a lot of my shooting buddies with "bottom feeders" feel inadequate when the revolver beats them for the night!

The Ruger is now my backup gun for matches in case the Smith messes up somehow.

Both have Pachmayr grips on them now.

AD

6. need pics of the Ruger and 4" 686 !!! And what loads do you use in them for competition ?

7. diesel

diesel

Yeah A.D. The Smith's are hard to beat. I know they're pricey but, I think well worth the money. I also have a Ruger, a .45 long colt that also shoots well but, feels like a rock in my hand. Fortunately, for me, the Smith's fit perfectly in my far too big hands.
    I've had a couple 686's in the past, one a four inch. I sold them off in 2013 after I lost my job. Along with two Colts (I wish I would have kept a couple years longer) they kept money in my pocket til the real money started to roll in.
    Your right about the Pachmayrs one can hold onto the revolver much better but, I love the rosewood combat grips.:):flag:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. diesel

diesel

Yeah Rich, I have two Mod. 29's circa 1970's that I love. Actually, one is for sell.:confused::flag:

9. Yes, the 686 is a fine shooter for sure.

As to the rosewood and other presentation grips, well they do look nice but I never realized what a difference having a good set of grips for actual SHOOTING instead of viewing would make.

My Ruger had a very nice set of wood inlays and I shot that gun quite nicely but put it away for awhile after getting the 686. One day I decided to bring it to the range during a practice session to see how much real difference there was between the two guns and I was floored when I picked up the smooth handled Ruger. The grip didn't feel right. The gun was moving around and I just couldn't get a consistent grip on it in rapid fire. I immediately ordered up a new grip set for it, got it installed (duplicate of the 686 grips) and now it feels 200% better.

Can't believe I shot the Ruger with those polished grips for so long and did good with them!!!

Anyway, here's the new Smith 686 four incher in action while I was videoing some slow motion testing and figuring out a way to avoid the holster moving 3" during the draw stroke. I solved that problem, got some nice slow motion in (the reload is slow motion but in full speed at the end) and kindly notice that EVERY shot hits the steel at 25 yards, thank you.

Still working on getting my shot to shot reloads consistently under 4 seconds. A Jerry Miculek I'm not!

AD (Get out there and shoot! Beat up on your buddy and use a revolver to do it!!)

10. diesel

diesel

Great vid and great shooting, AD. Your a badass on the range. Totally agree with the Pach's, don't look as pretty but definitely save your hand.....and better gripage (if that's a real word...lol):):flag:

11. Are revolvers with compensated and/or magnaported barrels allowed ?

12. Shooting in ICORE, yes.

No for USPSA and IDPA.

AD

13. I'm "adequate" on the range, trust me.

I did change the reload slightly after that video and have gotten the time down just a bit more. That's the reason for the videos and the slow motion. I can see where things are happening and where to make changes.

AD

14. I have always been a big fan of the old S&W revolvers. This 586 is a special run of 2,500 with the black mat finish. It is unfired and still in the box. I don't know much about the new models. If they are anything like the older models. I am sure they are great.

I have several Ruger's also. Both are fine guns.

[​IMG]

15. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nice gun I have only three Smiths and will be shopping for another soon.

16. Well here's a S&W revolver that DOES get used. A lot!!

The one on the left is a 1970's Model 15-3. The original owner said it was just sitting around the house for 40 years and wanted it to go to a good home as his wife didn't want it in the house anymore.

I have given it a new home shooting IDPA in Revolver and it's doing just fine.

The other one is my S&W 686 in the four inch size which also gets a good workout shooting IDPA and ICORE.

We run on the same squad just to give each other grief on every stage.

Guys, get out there and shoot. Grab a friend. Kick his butt. Get free beer! You don't need any fancy equipment or clothing. Just a sidearm and some ammo.

It's summer time. Get out there and quit staring at your computer screen!!!

AD (I own no safe queens, just guns that shoot)

[​IMG]

17. I have always had an interest in IDPA shooting. Unfortunately like anything else, it takes time which is in short supply these days. The good news is that I will be retiring next year. That will give me time to start running some ammo through my guns.

Jim

18. The nice thing about the shooting sports is you don't have to spend valuable time wasting away at the static range. You can get all your practice in while shooting with your buddies.

AD

19. diesel

diesel

Don't count on it, Jim. I've been retired for 4 yrs. and I work harder now than I did while employed.:D:flag:

20. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Amen brother.