I found this little beauty last week . . .

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by dogrtst, January 24, 2018.

1. Was visiting the local gun store here in "West Jeff" last week, and spied this little gem of a rifle sitting on a rack in the corner, so I'd like to share it with you all.

It's a (NIB) Savage Tactical Model 110FP, (pre-Accutrigger F529XXX) Long Action, Heavy Barrel in .223 Rem! No kidding! I had been looking for a CZ Lefty in .223 to pair with my CZ American, but then - this, and the price was right. $500. Not bad for a rifle that, by the letter prefix, was manufactured sometime between 1995 to 2002. Savage made three different twist rates during that time, but I'm guessing it is 1:9 since it's in .223 Rem, but I will have to do the twist test to find out for sure.

As I have several Savage firearms, and have never been disappointed in their accuracy, I am pleased as punch.

I'm just waiting for the picatinny rail to arrive, so I can mount a scope (a Vortex) on this bad boy. It has the flat back on the frame.

Deer Creek, here I come. (Well, when it opens in March).

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: January 24, 2018
  2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    they are normally good shooters out of the box.

3. MikeH121

MikeH121

I'm ambidextrous on a lot, can write can shoot, But left eye dominant. I shoot a right long gun lefty. But I would not be able to shoot a lefty long gun. Even in the Army they had no brass deflector attachment at the range and of course the Drills were screaming that I would get hot brass in my face. I pointed out that the M-16 already had a deflector on the lower, I think I made them madder questioning their rightness. :rofl::flag:

I scored expert. 1 miss at 1200 meters but I know it went through the hole in the pop up silhouette. So I hit 40 for 40. I did on subsequent qualifications. I have always been a good natural shot.

Can shoot pistol either hand. Seems to be left eye, and right hand on manipulation of the bolt, or charging handle, yet left or right in reloads and slides on pistols.

4. I hope to find out soon.

5. Even though I'm a 10%er, I learned to shoot right hand guns and shotguns. I started buying lefties when I could afford them. However, I did sell a Colt AR I bought in '94 because I was the "brass catcher". Got tired of catching hot brass in my shirt collar. I picked up a Stag M8L several years ago and never looked back.

As far as shooting handguns left-handed; I'm working on it.

But Murphy's law is in full effect for me - I have an eye problem that just developed that is blocking my left iris and blurring my vision. It never ends.

Attached Files:

Last edited: January 29, 2018
  6. Finally, got the bases and the scope on. I found a two-piece set of Leupold bases on sale at Midway for $7 and change, so I got them. I had ordered a set from EGW but they are on back-order. Shooting time waits for no man!

This is the setup. I put the Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50 on it and when i get the EGW Picatinny rail, I'll probably change out the two-piece. All I need now is to change out the trigger for a Timney and start plinking away. I want to check out Boyd's new "At-One" adjustable laminate stock, too.

Some pics. IMG_3104.JPG IMG_3100.jpg IMG_3102.jpg IMG_3106.jpg

Last edited: February 1, 2018
  7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nice gun sir well I shoot long guns left handed pistols and revolver right handed

dogrtst likes this.