• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Do you reload and what

500 44mag with my cast 250 grain SWC cost is $70.00. I dry tumble with primers in cases 2hours tumbling load time on Hornady LNL press with case feeder and reworked bullet feeder die 1 1/2 hours and I really don't push hard.:)

Sounds like somebody wants to start reloading.
There is no set amount for a batch,could be 20,could be 500.
The 4 hours is typical for 'wet' cleaning/tumbling,dry tumbling could be anywhere from 1-12 hours depending upon the cleaning media.
Aluminum cases are not reloadable,Berdan(typically,but not necessarially,not of USA manufacture) primed cases are not reloadable because of the double primer flash hole. Boxer primed cases,single primer flash hole,are reloadable. Sizing/decapping dies have a single decapping pin.
Above the reloading equipment cost,the cost of the primers,powder,and bullet/projectile.
Time,forever or quick. A single stage press(one operation at a time) vs a progressive setup(large quantity of brass and components in and large quantity of ready to shoot ammo out.
Back in the 70s/80s',I used to load 38 special target loads for a team in police competition shooting league. When they started using my ammo,their scores increased,even compared to the target ammo they were previously using.

the above is just a very very brief description.

back to the wet tumbling topic.
gonna backstep to my 38 special brass that I tested with. they were dry tumbled before I acquired them,I de-primed and did a dry tumble. Since they were once-fired range brass,I separated into two groups. Brass that was pretty clean already and should have no problem attaining the 'new' look. that was the first 11 hr test. brass that was stained/oxidized was todays' batch for 4 hours. there were 16 cases that were evidently corroded below the oxidation. the corrosion was cleaned out by the wet tumbling and left very shallow pitting in the case surface and those pits were clean/shiny.
Next is 357Mag brass.

pic results of wet tumbling
left to right
once fired tumbled by Kendall Ordnance,sized/de-primed/dry tumbled by me,wet SS tumbling.

My reloading guru, dkay62, has taught me all I know so far - but not all that he knows! I just finished 100 rounds of .45 ACP. New Starline brass, Berry 200 gr. round shoulder, plated bullets over 5 grs. Titegroup. This is my first shot at .45 ACP so I need to go out and see how they shoot.

dkay62, you were right about the tight brass but I opened them up and the rest seated nicely - no crimp.

dogrtst

to those that reload and use cast bullets,but do not cast their own bullets,what calibers do you buy for ? 9mm,38/357,40,41,44,45 ? The reason I ask is sometimes I see incredible deals at the shows,at Niles one vendor I acquire oddball brass stuff from had old stock(he said he's had them for about 30 years) of 41 cal SWC with lube rings for $30 per 500. Seemed like a GREAT deal but I don't shoot 41Mag(not yet but I am watching for a S&W 57/58).

My reloading guru, dkay62, has taught me all I know so far - but not all that he knows! I just finished 100 rounds of .45 ACP. New Starline brass, Berry 200 gr. round shoulder, plated bullets over 5 grs. Titegroup. This is my first shot at .45 ACP so I need to go out and see how they shoot.

dkay62, you were right about the tight brass but I opened them up and the rest seated nicely - no crimp.

dogrtst
I can go to LEPD today and shoot 45's with you. I just went with Arthur Thursday and shot my 1911. I might bring a SAA this time.

BTW I currently reload.

.22-250
.220 Swift
.243 Win
280 Rem
7mm Mauser
8mm Mauser
30-06
7.62x39mm
32-20 Win
32 H&R Mag
9mm Luger
38 Special
357 Rem Mag
38-40 Win
44 Special
44 Rem Mag
44 Auto Mag
45 ACP
45 Auto Rim
455 Webley
45 Colt
45-70 Govt.
50 AE

I can go to LEPD today and shoot 45's with you. I just went with Arthur Thursday and shot my 1911. I might bring a SAA this time.
Can't make it today - on a deadline for a freelance assignment. I can go on Thursday if that's doable.

dogrtst

tom

nra
airforce
It's been a couple years since a thread like this and since things have changed, time for updates.
Do you reload and currently what cartridges ?
Do you plan on adding any other cartridges ?
Do you plan on reloading ? and for what cartridges ?

I currently reload for 9mm, 38 special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm, 223/5.56, 308/7.62.
Have reloaded and still have the dies for 44sp/44mag, 17Rem, 243Win, 6mmRem, 30-06, 35Rem.

I've been reloading .223, previously 300 AAC Blackout (no longer), and have started to reload 9mm. I don't know if I'll add other calibers (depends on gun acquisitions).

welcome !
what firearms do you have for the 223 and 9mm ?

Medina gun show this weekend.
http://www.conraddowdell.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?UID=7a839a27-1b53-4309-8bce-02f68980944b

Brass for 223 and 9mm currently are the most abundant and inexpensive at the shows. brass cost should never be of concern as you re-use it. primers,powder,and bullets are the permanently lost components.
FFF I only use for powder purchase,but my powder stock I've been building since the 70s',as with my bullet and primer stock. My primer stock was up to 50,000,currently down to about 40,000 as I've been selling off. Primers are less expensive at the shows than they are at FFF.
I go to all the shows and post them in the gun show forum thread.

My current reloading is for 9mm,38sp,357M,40S&W,10mm,41M,44sp,44M for handgun and 223,300AAC,35Rem for rifle as shown in my reloading area rebuild thread.

tom

nra
airforce
welcome !
what firearms do you have for the 223 and 9mm ?

Medina gun show this weekend.
http://www.conraddowdell.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?UID=7a839a27-1b53-4309-8bce-02f68980944b

Brass for 223 and 9mm currently are the most abundant and inexpensive at the shows. brass cost should never be of concern as you re-use it. primers,powder,and bullets are the permanently lost components.
FFF I only use for powder purchase,but my powder stock I've been building since the 70s',as with my bullet and primer stock. My primer stock was up to 50,000,currently down to about 40,000 as I've been selling off. Primers are less expensive at the shows than they are at FFF.
I go to all the shows and post them in the gun show forum thread.

My current reloading is for 9mm,38sp,357M,40S&W,10mm,41M,44sp,44M for handgun and 223,300AAC,35Rem for rifle as shown in my reloading area rebuild thread.

I started loading with the .223 (PSA with mods along the way, chambered 5.56, carbine length flat top). I just started on the 9mm reloading, and since I save my brass, I don't usually have to buy any. The only thing I don't do (yet, I guess) is casting. I've considered casting the 9mm bullets, but then, I'd be out lead-hunting for something to melt. I may go to the Medina show tomorrow, since it's only about 10 miles from home. The lines can be pretty long there, though.

Most of my 9mm shooting is with a CZ-75b, and an M&P Shield 9mm.

tom

CZ75B great gun.
I'll do Medina Sunday because of smaller Sunday crowd,typically won't get there until 11/noon as show-goers are already starting to leave. I know a lot of the vendors so part of the show is social for me.

I started reloading about two or so years ago. I do .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Mag, .38 SPL, .243 Win, .308 Win, .223 Rem. I also do .410 bore and 28 ga. shotgun with a MEC 600 Jr.

I started by getting all of my reloading equipment with a package deal from RCBS, when they had a rebate that saved me 'beaucoup' bucks.

RCBS runs the same 'reloading equipment rebate promotion' yearly, and their replacement parts are guaranteed for life - if you break any part, for any reason, call them and they will immediately, if not sooner, send out the replacement part, at no cost to you and they pay shipping. Can't beat that guarantee. They are headquartered in Oroville, CA.

Dillon Reloading and Hornady also make good reloading stuff. Oh, and Redding, also. If you want to start out for a little money and still get it done, Lee Hand Loaders may be your cup of tea. Pretty basic.

Next, I asked a friend who is an experienced reloader for starting tips, and he was kind enough to spend time with me, to teach me the basics. I bought RCBS, only because that is what my friend had. Personal choice is the way to go. All these brands are good.

The rest was collecting data books, reloading manuals, Like from Hornady and Speer, and reading everything and anything relating to this activity.

Take advantage of the free reloading advertising and info put out by the various reloading manufacturers and get all the free powder manufacturers crib sheets and free info online. Go slow, be deliberate, if you don't know, don't guess - ask someone. You can hurt yourself if you don't pay attention.

Have fun - save money.

dogrtst.